Ingress Protection Testing
Ingress protection testing (or IP testing) is performed on equipment enclosures to verify they provide adequate protection against the environment they are used within. IP testing includes ingress of solid objects (probe), ingress of water (spray or submersion) and ingress of dust.
IP testing measurements are performed according to the procedures detailed in AS 60529, EN 60529 & IEC 60529, (equivalent requirements).
The ingress protection code or IP testing code signifies the rating for the protection of the enclosure using the letters “IP” followed by two digits e.g. “IP54”, “IP65”, etc.
First number - Degree of ingress protection
The first number of the IP testing code indicates the degree of protection against contact with moving parts and the degree that the equipment is protected against solid foreign bodies intruding into an enclosure.
- IP testing code: 0X No special ingress protection
- IP testing code: 1X Protection from a large part of the body such as hand or from solid objects greater than 50 mm in diameter
- IP testing code: 2X Protection against objects not greater than 80 mm in length and 12 mm in diameter
- IP testing code: 3X Protection from entry by tools, wires, etc., with a diameter or thickness greater than 2.5 mm
- IP testing code: 4X Protection from entry by solid objects with a diameter or thickness greater than 1.0 mm
- IP testing code: 5X Protection from an amount of dust that would interfere with the operation of the equipment
- IP testing code: 6X Dust-tight
Second number - Degree of moisture protection
The second number indicates the degree of protection for the equipment inside the enclosure against the harmful entry of various forms of moisture (e.g. dripping, spraying, submersion, etc.)
- IP testing code: X0 No special ingress protection
- IP testing code: X1 Protection from vertically dripping water
- IP testing code: X2 Protection from dripping water when tilted up to 15°
- IP testing code: X3 Protection from sprayed water
- IP testing code: X4 Protection from splashed water
- IP testing code: X5 Protection from water projected from a nozzle
- IP testing code: X6 Protection against heavy seas, or powerful jets of water
- IP testing code: X7 Protection against temporary immersion
- IP testing code: X8 Protection against complete continuous submersion in water (up to 1 metre deep for 15 minutes)
Compliance Engineering has been accredited by A2LA to perform IP testing to the requirements detailed in AS 60529, EN 60529 & IEC 60529.
A2LA and NATA (National Association of Testing Authorities) are both signatories to the ILAC MRA and testing from each organisation are mutually recognised.
Compliance Engineering Pty Ltd
Unit 1, 70 Rushdale Street
Knoxfield VIC 3180 Australia
Telephone: + 61 3 9763 3079
Facsimile: + 61 3 9763 9706
ABN: 56 101 639 588
Visit our main website for more details on the complete range of services offered by Compliance Engineering: www.compeng.com.au